There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Diamond in the Rough


“I’ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt undoubtedly, and all those who looked down on me, I’m tearing down your balcony.”

I am a huge fan of Eminem.  I probably shouldn’t be.  At least that’s what I have been told.  His lyrics are offensive, he’s an angry guy, I should listen to more uplifting music. Music that inspires, music that I can play aloud and not worry about who might be listening.

And I agree that some of his lyrics are offensive, but when I take the time to hear the message behind the rough exterior I like what he has to say.  I listen to his Recovery CD every day in my car. I have memorized the lyrics to several songs so I can sing along.  (My kids are so proud).

Because this is the music I find inspiring, this is what works for me. It builds me up, gives me strength and makes me feel like I can handle anything.  I find his words empowering. 

But I still feel as though I shouldn’t listen to it.  I still turn it down when I come into a parking lot or pass a construction zone and think that other people might actually hear the words that I am listening to in my car.

I have been taught to believe that as an older mom I am supposed to look and act a certain way, and that way doesn’t include Eminem.  Where did I get my ideas of who I am supposed to be?  And when did I accept this truth that someone else knows better than me who I should be?

I don’t want to be that person anymore. The person who is so concerned about what other people think of me that I can’t even play the music I like aloud.  But I don’t know if I have the courage to be that person.  I will need encouragement and inspiration, something to empower me and I know just where to go to find it…

“You can do anything you set your mind to, man”

1 comment:

  1. Crank it loud and blast it proud!

    I am a fan of his as well. His rough edges and wounded heart make my nurture bones ache.

    ReplyDelete

Followers