There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Friday, May 27, 2011

In the Good Ol' Summertime


My favorite time of year is summer.  I love the heat. The hotter the better.  But there have been some summers that just don’t quite get hot enough for me.  There are fewer heat waves and more cooler, rainy days.  Those summers are difficult for me because I believe that if I don’t get my fill of the heat, I won’t be able to handle the cold, dreary winter.

In other words, I believe that I need to soak in all that warmth and sunshine because it will carry over to the dark and cold days of winter, allowing me to get through till the next summer when I essentially gear up again for winter.

Unfortunately, that mindset doesn’t carry over into other areas of my life.  I have plenty of wilderness periods or valleys. Times of difficulty, times of testing, but there have also been many times in my life where things were very good, the peaks, where  everything was calm and settled, peaceful.

During the peaks my tendency has been to brace myself for the next valley, so I don’t allow myself to fully embrace the good times as if by doing so, I will cause the valley to come even quicker, because I know it”s there, looming on the horizon.

But if there is one thing I have learned in all my years, good times and bad times are both a part of life.  I was never promised a life free of pain and heartache so rather than spending all of my energy trying to keep those times away, perhaps my energy is better spent fully embracing all the summers in my life.  That way I will be better equipped to handle all of my winters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers