There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Nowhere Else to Hide


But Moses said to God “Who am I, that I should go to Pharoah and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” – Exodus 3:11

When Moses was called to free the Israelites he wasn’t all that sure he wanted to do it.  Pick someone else, he said. Someone who can speak more clearly. Surely there is someone better qualified than me.  But God had already chosen Moses for this particular task.

There is something I believe God has called me to do.  He has prepared me, He has given me the tools, the training, and even the desire. But my fears got in the way.  My insecurities.  So I said to God “pick someone else”.  Someone more qualified, someone better, more capable.

I bargained with God.  Look God, I can do this for you instead.  Or this, or even that.  And He told me it was great to do this or this or even that.  Because all of those things are good things.  But it is not what I have asked of you.

So I’m going to face my fears and trust that God knows what’s best.  Because then not only will I have peace with Him, I will also have peace with myself.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, I got chills reading that.

    Get it girl : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. And God will bless you for your obedience. He doesn't call us to do things He hasn't equipped us to do and looks like He has given you everything you need. Look forward to seeing how God is going to work through you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you don't mind if I publish an insanely long comment here Deborah.:) When I read this post I just had to go search my emails for this thing my mom sent me a while back...I too feel like I want God to use someone better for various reasons, I feel to unsure, too afraid, too fearful of confrontation, etc. So this list is so true and so encouraging!:)

    The next time you feel like GOD can't use you, just remember...


    Noah was a drunk
    Abraham was too old
    Isaac was a daydreamer
    Jacob was a liar
    Leah was ugly
    Joseph was abused
    Moses had a stuttering problem
    Gideon was afraid
    Samson had long hair and was a womanizer
    Jeremiah and Timothy were too young
    David had an affair and was a murderer
    Elijah was suicidal
    Isaiah preached naked
    Jonah ran from God
    Naomi was a widow
    Job went bankrupt
    Peter denied Christ
    The Disciples fell asleep while praying
    Martha worried about everything
    The Samaritan woman was divorced, more than once
    Zaccheus was too small
    Paul was too religious
    Timothy had an ulcer

    AND
    Lazarus was dead!

    However...
    God was there for all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That list encourages me because well, of all the things God might ask me to do, preaching naked probably isn't one of them. *wipes forehead in relief*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annabelle, I'm trying to get it! Doing my best :)
    Shanda, Yes, I believe you are right, I'm still a little confused about why He wants me to do what He wants and what it has to do with His purposes but I may never have that answer, that's I guess where faith comes in.
    And Colleen, love the list! haha, I hope you were able to cut/paste that! I do try to keep in mind that the people God used were flawed,but it always helps to hear it again. Thanks for the encouragement! :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers