There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Lesson Learned


      Date night is one of my favorite nights of the week. Every Wednesday, my husband and I take a few hours out of our schedule to reconnect as a couple. We generally go out for dinner or head to the movies. What we do is less important than why we do it.   It’s our time and we do whatever necessary to clear our schedules.
      But last night, we stayed home.  We gave up our date night for the first time in a very long time.  And why? What was so important that I would allow it to encroach on our sacred evening together?
      Two words…American Idol.
      I am a huge fan.  In fact I watch most reality TV. Survivor, Amazing Race, Housewives of Beverly Hills, but there is something inspiring about American Idol. I love to watch the young hopefuls reach for their dreams.
      I have watched every season, and Simon was my favorite judge. So I was especially nervous and excited to watch the new judges and see how they would fare. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised.
      I am a long time fan of Aerosmith and J.Lo so perhaps it was easier for me to make the leap away from Simon. Jennifer Lopez was stunningly gorgeous.  And Steven Tyler was hysterical, although a tad creepy flirting with the 16 year olds.  
As judges, I think they let too many people through, but it was the first night, I have faith that they will find their groove.
      All in all, I’m looking forward to the new season, but will this permanently replace date night?   No. In fact, as a rule, television should never overrule real life. 
     I just have to remember to set the DVR. 

2 comments:

  1. That is really cool that you keep date night with your husband. I'm not really into reality shows and have never really watched American Idol except for bits and peices...I do really like J.Lo though and yes she is gorgeous. Glad you enjoyed the new judges and that you are determined to keep date night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I have to smile! I also think it is so fantastic that you and your husband take the time to enjoy each other by having a date night! What an awesome example for your own children! I love that...my husband and I are trying to find that time these days and make our own patterns now that we have a little guy in the house. It is sure different than when it was just us.:)

    I really look forward to reading more here and getting to know you! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Followers