There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Monday, January 10, 2011

A Word About Moderation

       My friend sent me an email after reading my first blog entry suggesting that I consider moderation as opposed to going cold turkey with regard to my decision to quit drinking. Unbeknownst to her, I don't function well in the gray area. And moderation falls in the gray area. In any situation, I am either fully engaged or completely disinterested. (I like to call it passion, my husband calls it obsession.) And drinking is no different.
       I'm either not drinking or I'm drinking to excess. The idea of having one glass of wine just simply does not appeal to me.  After all, its not about the taste, its about the effect.  Consider the wine connoisseur who revels in pairing the perfect pinot noir with his elegantly prepared salmon. What does he think wine is...a condiment?
       I suppose if I could retrain my brain to think of alcohol that way I wouldn't be in this predicament. But I learned very early on that alcohol is an elixir.  It seduces, it beckons with promises of a better life saying come to me all of you who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest.   Trust me this is no condiment...
      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers