There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What's The Problem?


          I read an article recently about a woman who entered into therapy because she drank one glass of wine every night at 5:00 and she wanted to stop.  My first reaction was… why?.  That didn’t seem like a problem to me. One glass of wine per night?  In fact, health professionals now recommend a glass of wine per night as part of a healthy diet. But this woman admitted to not being able to get past 5:00 without the wine, and therein lies the problem.
         When I tell friends that I am going to stop drinking, I generally get the same reaction. Why? After all, I really don’t drink that much.  One martini every night, maybe a little more on the weekends. Some wine, an occasion cordial.  Its not like I’m sneaking vodka into my morning orange juice, but much like the woman I described above I can’t get past 5:00 without it. So I quit.
        Now I have read enough articles online to know that many people believe that in order to quit I must admit to being powerless over alcohol and that I must surrender my life to God.   I might be able to get behind that second part. God is, after all, the Creator of the universe so it is possible He knows better than me what’s best for me, but I have never been able to get past that first step.
       I don’t believe I am powerless over alcohol. The vodka is not pouring itself down my throat.  I am the one opening the bottle, pouring it into the glass and raising that glass to my lips.  I have a choice to do that or not, and I have to take responsibility for that choice.
       As for the God part? I’ll take that under advisement…
      
        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers