There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mere Coincidence?


     How do we know if God is talking to us? What does His voice sound like?  I have some friends who have made major life decisions because God “put it on their heart” to make those decisions. Personally, when I feel something on my heart I pop a couple of Tums into my mouth. Am I missing something?  Is God talking to me, and how do I know its Him as opposed to my own thoughts?

      I recently got it in my head that I should try a Zumba class.  I searched online for classes offered in my area but found nothing.  Frustrated, I left my computer and said to no one in particular “if I’m meant to take a Zumba class , someone will cross my path with the information I need”. 
      Four days later I met up with a friend I hadn’t seen in awhile and one of the first things she said to me was “I just started taking Zumba classes, you should  come with me!”
      Was this God at work? The Law of Attraction?  Or just mere coincidence?  I would like to say it’s a coincidence, because I doubt that God or the Universe cares that much about whether I take a Zumba class.  But things like this happen all the time. 
       Two weeks before my son, Max, got his drivers license, I felt compelled to drill it into his head what to do if he got into an accident.  We discussed that he should call the police, then me, and I showed him where the insurance and registration cards were kept.   I covered this information daily with him, but when his older brother went for his license, I barely mentioned it.
      The day Max got his license he totaled the car.  Thankfully he was ok, but I was left wondering...did I bring this to him as the Law of Attraction suggests? Did God in His infinite wisdom “put it on my heart” to prepare Max because He knew what was coming? Or was this a random event that just happened because Max was a young and inexperienced driver?
      I have decided to set aside 20 minutes each evening to sit in solitude and listen for God’s voice.  I am operating under the assumption that God has a plan for my life and if I listen hard enough, I will hear that plan, act on it, and live happily ever after. But is that the way it works? Is God going to dictate my future to me?  Is my life already mapped about before me and all I have to do is read the signs? Or is it up to me to forge my own path.  Who is the author of my story?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...these are some really good questions...for me I feel that God speaks to me through feelings, my thoughts, others that I know or even strangers,speakers, songs, books, his word, through events...ect...I think the more I have listened to him the better I've gotten at hearing him...not sure if that makes sense or not?

    Here is an example of how I will feel or believe God is talking to me...I will talk to him about something I need or desire. Then I leave it alone. And then I will be listening to the radio and a song plays that really speaks of something related to this...then I might be talking to someone, and this could even be a stranger and they will say something that speaks of this same subject...then it might be a blog post I read...then it might be something one of my little's say to me...and this keeps repeating itself but in different ways...in my early years of getting to know God, this kind of freaked me out because it's like how did they know that I was desiring this because I hadn't told anyone? I remember one time praying and asking God for food and a day later my kitchen cupboards and fridge were full of food...freaked me out.

    I'm not sure if any of this makes sense to you...it really is hard to explain because it's hard to pinpoint that this or that is God's voice speaking. A big part of hearing God's voice is willingness to listen and to open to what he has to say. There have been times he has spoken to me and it's not what I wanted to hear so I'd pretend I didn't hear...he has the tendancy to keep repeating himself to me until I listen...I can be pretty stubborn at times or a slow learner at best...but he is patient with me and waits for me to listen.

    The times I didn't think he was listening to me I came to realize down the road that he had been answering me but just not in the way I wanted him to or expected him to.

    I think it's really neat that you are questioning and seeking. I hope I haven't made you more confused and if I have I am certainly sorry for that. I personally no longer believe in coincidence nor in luck.

    Blessings to you as you seek these answers! XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are such really profound questions. I don't think many people ask things like that to be honest. You've got me thinking.:)

    I think your idea to sit in silence and listen for God's voice is a beautiful one. I'm not sure if you'd like any advice and I'm certainly no expert but I would begin that silence with a simple prayer that your heart be open to anything the Lord wants to let you know during that time.

    Those questions at the end of your post really are fascinating and bear some thinking about. Thanks for the inspiration.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Followers