There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Friday, January 21, 2011

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

“Mirror Mirror on the wall, who’s the fairest of the them all?”
“I’d like to help you out, my dear, but I reflect the truth, I fear…”


Why do I allow this wretched piece of glass into my home?  This constant reminder that my clothes don’t fit quite the way they used to, that I have one more gray hair, and a few new wrinkles around my eyes.

I look at my reflection and I see the mistakes I’ve made, the regrets I have, the years gone by that I can’t get back.   I look into my eyes and I see deep within me the imperfections and the areas that need improvement.

“Mirror Mirror on the wall, who’s the fairest of them all?”
“Speak your thoughts with care my dear, for I reflect the words I hear.”


As a child, I heard the legend of Bloody Mary and I would stand in front of the mirror and say the name Bloody Mary over and over again until I could see her face.  The words I said changed the reflection.  Can I still change my reflection based upon what I say?

Changing my thoughts, my self-talk is challenging. These are old habits, deeply ingrained, and yet, if I choose to believe that my words change the reflection, as I did as a young child playing a silly game, perhaps the mirror is not the enemy, but my friend.


“Mirror Mirror on the wall, who’s the fairest of them all?”
“A kinder, gentler soul stands here, and I reflect the truth, my dear.”

7 comments:

  1. This post was inspired by my friend Lori...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...your words cut to my soul like a knife...words I needed to read this morning...with tears I hope for this day to come...to see the mirror as my friend...I too, stood in front of the mirror saying Bloody Mary...I completely forgot about those days of doing that with the other girls at school in the dark bathroom...lol...another blogging friend has given me affirmations to say while looking at myself in the mirror...I am not there yet...saying the affirmations and working towards saying them in front of the mirror...your words inspire me to do so...thank you very much...do you go by Deb, Debbie or Deborah? ((((Deborah))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go by any of the three, mostly Deb or Debbie, but I love when people call me Deborah, several of my friends call me Deborah, and my brother always calls me that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems a lot of us struggle with coming up with positive things to say about ourselves. I've been encouraged to speak out loud to a mirror too. It just feels... silly but much wiser folks than I have benefited from it. Thanks for the reminder.

    And thanks for visiting my blog. Welcome to the Blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a beautiful person. I too struggle at times with the words I say to myself, always so much harsher than what I would ever say to another person. And you know what? It really hurts me. Even when I say the words I feel something inside myself crying for me to stop it...
    We are so fragile really and so strong but most of all beautifully unique. Thanks for posting this and wording it so very beautifully.
    I think you're a really talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you ladies for your comments...
    Colleen, thank you so much, I have journaled for years but I have never actually shared any of my thoughts till now. Your comment is so encouraging...I try to always speak completely from my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can feel your pain through your words and I think that's what good writing is all about. Good luck with your new journey, and thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers