There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lent Day Twelve - Follow Me @God

     Today, at church, my Pastor spoke about Passionate Worship.  The kind of worship that involves an unrestrained, pouring out our love for someone, bowing down and kissing their feet.  The way we should worship Jesus. Then he asked us to share with the person sitting next to us our first memory of worship.  I turned to my husband and said “I got nothin’”. 

     I have kept my heart far too guarded to allow myself to express that kind of deep love for anything or anyone.  Thinking back over my life, the closest I came to that kind of worship was when I saw Top Gun for the first time.  Something about Maverick and that whole alpha male thing he had going on, but I’m pretty sure my Pastor was referring to a different type of worship.

     When I used the word worship in my vocabulary it was always about girls who worshipped the ground their boyfriends walked on.  Or people who worship movie stars, showing their love by hanging on their every word through Twitter.  But I don’t worship like that either.  In fact, I don’t Tweet at all, but mostly because I am far too self-absorbed, caring much more about my own opinions than what Charlie Sheen or even Tom Cruise has to say.

    So this idea of passionately worshipping Jesus in the manner my Pastor was talking about gave me much to think about.  I do have a relationship with God but I realized that there are still barriers that keep me from pouring my love out to Him.  But the more I focus on getting to know Him, the more I listen to His voice above all else, the closer I get to having a real worship experience worthy of sharing with the person sitting next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers