There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Forty Days


    In honor of Ash Wednesday I have been doing a significant amount of research online to try to understand the true meaning of Lent.  From what I have read, it seems that Lent isn’t really just about sacrifice, but rather it’s about learning to lean on God.

     So it is in that spirit that I have decided to give up everything and nothing for Lent.  There are so many times during my days that I feel things like boredom, loneliness, frustration, anger, etc. and in the past I have used alcohol to overcome those feelings.  Having decided to give up alcohol for this whole year, I have found that I still haven’t dealt with so many things head-on. I have simply chosen new “things” to use to run from these unpleasant feelings.

     I have used everything from chocolate to Starbucks tea to people to avoid trying to understand why I feel lonely, bored, frustrated.  There is nothing inherently wrong with having a cup of tea, or a few chocolates, or even a glass of wine.  It’s only when those things become something I need to get through my day, or to solve some problem I have that they become an issue.  None of those things will take care of my negative feelings long term.  Only God can do that, but I never go to God first.  I go to God only when all else fails.

     So for the next forty days, my plan for Lent, is to make a conscious effort to put God first, before the tea, the chocolate, or whatever else is taking His place. For me, that means reading my Bible.  It’s the place I go to when I want to learn more about who God is and what He wants from me.  It’s where I go when I am looking for strength, wisdom and guidance. 

     I am excited about the next 40 days.  My hope is that I will have a greater appreciation for what Jesus suffered in the wilderness, during His time of temptation. And that I will have a deeper understanding of the true meaning of Easter Sunday.



3 comments:

  1. I wish you luck in the coming 40 days of Lent! May it be a time that truly brings you more understanding and deeper faith. I look forward to learning how your journey progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb - I wish you a wonderful journey. I came across this yesterday and thought it was very practical. http://www.catholicdigest.com/articles/faith/lent/2010/01-13/finding-everyday-holiness-in-lent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Colleen, I plan on blogging about it! :) And thank you Corinne, I will check out your link. And nice to meet you. Thank you so much for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Followers