There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Friday, March 25, 2011

Lent Day Seventeen - A True Test

I have a confession to make. I am not always a cheerful giver.  When it comes to putting my money into the collection basket, or lending butter, eggs, milk to a neighbor, or giving a friend a ride to the train station, I’m happy to help where I can.  Where my giving becomes less cheerful is in my own home and specifically with my husband.

I have been known to say things to him like:

“Do I have to do everything around this house?”
“Why can’t we watch what I want to watch?” 
and “I’m too tired to cook, can you pick up take-out?”

Recently, as I have been reading my Bible and my devotionals, one thing about Jesus’ life that is glaringly obvious, is that He came to serve.  He took care of others and He taught His disciples to do the same.

And because I would like to be more like Jesus, I have asked Him to guide me to where He wants me to serve.  Where can I help?  What can I do to be a blessing to others?   And I have been met with silence.  Surely God wants me to serve, doesn’t He?  Why, then, are no doors opening to me?

This morning, I happened to be reading my Bible and I came across the Parable of the Talents.  Jesus tells of a man who left varying amounts of money to each of his servants.  Rewarding those servants who made more money for him, and becoming upset with the servant who kept the money safe.  Jesus concluded the story with the following words…

     “I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away.”  Luke 19:11

This is a story about faithfully using what God has entrusted to us.  And I considered this.  Is it possible that God hasn’t opened a door for me to serve “out there” because I haven’t earned His trust by serving “in here?”

So for the rest of this Lenten season, I am going to practice service.  In my own home. And yes, that would include my husband.   I’m sure, with the right heart, the right attitude and the strength of the Holy Spirit, I can learn to put the needs of my husband before my own.  My only question is this…how many more days are left in Lent?




4 comments:

  1. I struggle in this area as well. Thanks for the pep-talk. I needed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll do just fine! I started doing this a few years back, serving, as well as complimenting, as well as encouraging, even if it didn't get reciprocated. It does get easier, so just hang in there!!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to do the same thing! It is so easy to overlook our roles in our own home and from what I have seen, society also likes to make light of them but we do have a real vocation within our homes as well. Loving those who we deal with every day...being patient, being kind...hard stuff though.:)

    Good luck to both of us.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esther, I think on some level we all struggle with this.
    Betty, thanks for the encouragement!
    Colleen, Yes! Good luck to both of us! I am sure I will blog about my progress at some point! :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers