There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Lent Day Thirty Five - God...in a Mustard Seed


“I tell you the truth. If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain ‘Move from here to there’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” – Matthew 17:20


Throughout this Lenten season I have learned a great deal about myself, which I shared yesterday in Me…In a Nutshell.  But I have also learned more about God, or at least what I believe about God which I feel in my heart to be true.

I believe that there is a universal life force.  An energy that sustains and connects us all.  I happen to call that energy God. 

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.  That God sent Him to us to show us the Way, the Truth and the Life.  That through Him we would see the full expression of God’s love and compassion.  I believe that anyone who expresses this love is connected to God, whether someone does it in the name of Jesus or not.

I believe the Holy Bible is the inspired word of God, but I also believe He is too great to be limited to one book.  He speaks to and through His creation in more ways than I can imagine in my limited understanding of Him.

I believe I do have a choice to make.  Do I choose God or myself?  But I don’t believe that God limits my time in making this decision to this blink-of–an-eye earthly existence.  I believe God would pursue me even after death.

I believe  Jesus meant what he said when He instructed us that the kingdom of Heaven is within.  And no matter how hard I try, I will not find eternal peace from any worldly thing.  That peace only comes from journeying inward to the depths of my own soul.   And because this journey exists within,  God alone can judge the heart.  He alone knows where any of us are in our journey no matter what it looks like from the outside.

I believe that God will ultimately redeem His whole creation because while I do have the God given free will to reject Him,  He also has the free will to reject my rejection and work on me until I get it.  And because we are all part of His creation, we all have love within us.  Even if that love is no bigger than a mustard seed.  And even if we have to go through Hell to realize it's there.

I believe that with God all things are possible.  And while I don’t understand all the ways of God, what I have learned by seeking Him with passion is that God talks to me, He guides me, supports me, is patient with me, has hopes for me, but most of all He loves me.  Because God is nothing if He is not love.

And love will win, every time.

6 comments:

  1. Whether I agree with you or not, is not what's important. Supporting your choice in beliefs is what is important.

    Strength providing faith is a beautiful thing.

    And to have beliefs to support yourself against is crucial.

    Fortify your spiritual self : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annabelle, that was really sweet! And you are right, these are my own feelings, everyone has their own thoughts about God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to disagree with some of the things you believe; but I respect your right to those beliefs and to know it is between you and God regarding your relationship with him and the truth of his word :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is very inspiring and definitely makes me think deeper about you've put out here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Betty, your comment means a lot to me :)
    And Helene that's great! I believe an important part of any of our journeys is to discover our relationship with God

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Deborah. Very interesting post. I do think this journey and search to know God goes on our entire lives, don't you?

    God is love. So simple. So unfussy and uncomplicated. He is just and He is merciful and deserving of our awe and praise. Above all else though, He is love.

    ReplyDelete

Followers