There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Lent Day Twenty Eight - A Time to Dance


For those of you who read my recent post Not Your Average Cardio, I wanted to update you on my pole dancing experience.

Let me first say that there were 15 other women in the room.   This in and of itself surprised me.  I didn’t realize so many women would be trying out this new form of cardio. And initially I was feeling rather silly about the whole thing.  But as I watched the instructor and listened to the music I started to loosen up and enjoy myself.

We actually spent quite a lot of time stretching.  As I have grown older, I have become much less limber.  Stretching is not part of my normal routine and I have never been a fan of yoga ,  so I was glad to see that this was an important component during the hour.

Then we went to the poles…I remember as a little girl swirling around random poles on the playground, and sometimes the poles supporting the streetsigns, literally just holding on with one hand swirling around them for fun.  But suddenly swirling for a purpose made me feel tense and self-conscious.  I had a hard time letting go and having fun with it.

I realize God had a different purpose for instructing us to become like little children again, but perhaps He saw this as a good place for me to start.  Understanding that letting go has been a struggle for me.

At the end of the evening, the instructor gave a full demonstration and I found it to be quite a beautiful art form.   It’s simply another form of dance that allows women to explore their own sensuality in a safe, male-free environment.

By the time I got home, I was packed in ice, sore from the bruises on my legs, but ever the glutton for punishment and determined to learn to let go, I signed up for five more classes.


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun way to get in shape. Fun with benefits,lol. Can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I imagine it is quite the work out.
    And I am so stiff! Ahh, to be limber again.

    ReplyDelete

Followers