There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Lent Day 40 - Close Enough


I was all set to wrap up my Lent series thinking that Lent ends on Day 40.  However, there is still another week until Easter so I’m not sure if Lent is over or not.  As always, whenever I have questions I go to right to Google.  A quick  search led me to many articles about the 40 day Lenten season.

Some articles explained that 40 days is just symbolic.  Other articles suggested that Lent is about “fasting” days only, which doesn’t include Sundays.  One article said Lent ends on Holy Saturday, and another article explained that Lent ends after services on Maundy Thursday.

I’m confused…

This period of Lent, for me, was about focusing on God.  About giving up anything that I was putting before Him.  If I would typically reach for a box of Girl Scout cookies because I was bored, I would instead go to God first.  If I left my house to hang out at Starbucks because I was feeling lonely, I went to God instead.

But now that 40 days has passed, I have no intention of reversing that choice.  I have learned that putting God first needs to be a way of life, not a timed trial.  So it doesn’t really matter if Lent ends today, Thursday, Friday or Saturday, my personal Lent series is officially coming to an end but my walk with God continues on…

6 comments:

  1. It is confusing but Lent is over on Holy Saturday. The articles that said that Sundays aren't included are correct, something to do with early church fathers forbidding fasting on Sundays.:)
    But as you said, in essence, what does that matter? The journey isn't over! I have so enjoyed reading your thought provoking and humorous words Deborah!

    Please don't stop writing!!:)

    Have a wonderful Holy Week before Easter my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, I'm not going to stop writing...I'm just going to end the lengthy Lent Day...titles. lol :)
    I hope you have a wonderful Holy Week as well Colleen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the title change. I agree, you weren't in crisis, just transition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annabelle, Yes it definitely suits me better now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you...40 days, WOW!

    I did something different this year for lent. I usually give up sugar or something to eat...This year, I gave up shopping at Ross for lent. Let me tell you, that was one heck of a sacrifice! Seriously, my shopaholic addiction leads me to believe I need to give up shopping at Ross forever. LOL!

    Good for you darling!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Followers