There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Meryl Streep's Got Nothin' On Me


After writing yesterday’s blog entry about the man on the street with the cardboard sign, I continued to struggle with my feelings about that situation.  So I found it interesting when I read today’s entry in one of the blogs I follow written by Donald Miller.  He suggested in his blog that we should never be motivated by guilt or obligation to do anything.  Our motivation should come from love.

Upon reading this, I had to question my motives yesterday.  Had I given some money to that man, was I doing it out of love?  Or was I just trying to assuage my own guilt.  Unfortunately it would have been the latter.  But in his blog Donald went on to say that there are people in his life where he cheerfully gives and that is so much better for the giver and the receiver.

I don’t have a “cause”.  And by that, I mean there is not a specific area where I focus my charitable efforts.  There are certain areas I feel an affinity toward so I donate money to specific organizations that have had an impact on my life, but I haven’t focused my energies on one specific area.  I guess I’m still unsure about my calling and my gifts.

Until now…

Just this very moment I received a beautiful award from one of my followers, Annabelle.  The You are an INSPIRATION Award. (I am so grateful to her that it makes me wonder if this is what it feels like to win the Oscar!)   And it made me think of all the wonderful comments I have received from Colleen, Lori, Dana, Betty, The Favorite Things Guy, Beth, Debbie, Esther, Dinah, Helene, Corinne, Lisa, Kathi, as well as my other followers who send me texts and emails, and those who choose to follow silently. 

When I started blogging I wrote for me, but over the months I think of all of my followers as I write.  I wonder if something I say might help someone along in their journey, and it inspires me to write more, to share more. To be as open and honest as I can because I love to connect with people.  I learn and I am inspired by so many people in my life, I am humbled to think that perhaps someone is learning  from and inspired by me and my words.

So I continue to write.  Not out of obligation or guilt, but simply out of love and I wonder…is this my calling?


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the award Deborah! You totally deserve it and you really are an inspiration!

    I also really like what you wrote about doing things out of love rather than obligation...it makes all the difference in the world. What a good thing to consider!

    Hope your Wednesday is divine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Deborah,
    As a first time visitor to your blog, I must say that this posting is most inspiring. And thus, I can see why Annabelle bestowed that inspirational award upon you. Very well deserved.
    And like you, I initially write for myself. For writing to me is a cathartic and therapeutic positive resource. Then we hope others will feel, will relate to what we have written and in turn, to what they have written. It's all part of the sharing and caring blogging community.
    Deborah, may you continue to embrace, be inspired by the magic that is the written word.
    With kindness and respect, your way, Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think some people after a bit find their blogs an obligation....that's when you really know it's time to take a break....

    but like you, i'm here for me. i like to write and share and connect....i think we've got a good thing going with this blogging thing....and they said it was a fad :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers