There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Friday, April 8, 2011

Lent Day Thirty One - I'll Be the Judge of That


I was incredibly shocked last night when Ryan Seacrest announced on American Idol that Pia was going home.  I thought she was a shoe-in to win.  The next Carrie Underwood.  I agreed with the judges that America got it wrong.

This morning, I decided to read the AI message boards to see what America was actually saying, assuming there would be page after page agreeing with me that yes, America was wrong.  But I was surprised to learn that not everyone shared my opinion.  In fact, some were glad to see her go, thinking that while she certainly is beautiful and talented she was a little boring. 

Some preferred the more unique styles of Paul and Casey to the typical ballads that Pia brought to the table.  And as I read more and more of the comments I realized America wasn’t wrong, America was just different.

Thankfully God already knows this.  As I have focused on reading my Bible and growing in my relationship with God, I have learned how Jesus speaks so differently to each of the people He encounters.   He shared a cup of water with the woman at the well, He ate and drank wine with His friends, He cried along with Mary and Martha when Lazarus died and He rebuked the religious leaders.

Jesus knows each of our hearts.  He knows what each of us needs to grow in our relationship with Him.  To Him we are unique individuals, each one of us a beloved child of God.  So whether what we need is a kind word, or a little fun, admonishment, or just to feel His presence…He alone can judge.

So I accepted the fact that America was not actually wrong, I recanted my vow to never watch the show again, (reminding myself that this is just American Idol after all),  and opened my mind to the talents and gifts of the other artists who also bring beautiful, and different, music to the table.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great way to look at it....no one was wrong, it's just that we all have different opinions, different ways of looking at each situation.

    ReplyDelete

Followers