There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anaïs Nin

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Seriously Thinking About Lightening Up


Last night I watched American Idol.  It was actually last week’s episode, but I found that if I record Idol, I can watch the competition and the results show in about an hour by skipping all the commercials and other nonsense that now seems to be a part of it.

And as I was watching Katy Perry sing a song that I generally enjoy when I hear it on the radio, all I could focus on was her outrageous electrified costume and how much it cost. I have always been an AI fan, even in the early seasons when it really was just a singing competition.  So I continued to watch last night all the while analyzing why the producers felt the need to go to such lengths with the theatrics to keep me, the viewer, coming back.

And then I thought about the comment my husband made about yesterday’s blog post.  I wrote about an issue that I do take quite seriously but I personally thought my comment about Hannibal Lecter was rather funny.  My husband thought I sounded deeply disturbed.  So I analyzed that for about five hours and came to the conclusion that perhaps I have completely lost my sense of humor. Perhaps I have forgotten how to have fun.

By nature, I tend to be a deep thinker which, I suppose, is why I continuously wrestle with my thoughts about God, and life in general.  But am I taking myself too seriously?  Is it possible to enjoy my life for what it is even while I know there is suffering in the world? 

I imagine there is a proper balance and I’m sure if I spend some time analyzing this I will draw some deeply profound conclusions, but in the meantime, I’m going to go set my DVR for this week’s American Idol because even though I don’t know who’s performing, I’m sure it will be a great show.

5 comments:

  1. You know Deborah, your writing always touches on something worth giving serious thought to but honestly, I see humor in almost every post you write. I think you have quite a good sense of humor and even though you don't end your posts with big smiley faces to let us all know it's a bit of a joke, I like your dry and wry sense of humor. :)

    Just so you know.:)
    You

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, not too sure what the "you" at the end is all about.:) Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen, I'm glad you said that! When my husband dissed me the other night (lovingly, of course!) I thought, wow do I seem disturbed? Many times I write with more of a subtle humor as you clearly have picked up on! :) I think we are very much alike in a many ways

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and by thinking we are alike in many ways I didn't mean to imply that I think you are disturbed...although that extra "you" causes me some concern ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA!!! No harm done!:) I love subtle humor, to me it is far funnier than outright joking and stuff. :)

    Hope you have a great day!:)

    ReplyDelete

Followers